Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blog elements

In the beginning was the blog, composed of posts.

But there are many other pages and parts of your blog, some added later by Blogger (such as static pages), others generated automatically (such as label searches).

It's handy to know what you can do with these. Here's a field guide.

1. Blog page (home page)
2. Blog post pages (individual post)
3. Archive ("Older Posts") pages
  A. and part 2
4. Label-search pages
5. Static page
6. Search-results pages
7. Header, title & tagline
8. Sidebar
  A. and upper horizontal gadgets area
  B. and lower horizontal gadgets area

APPENDICES
A. Elements common to every page
B. Limits on page size:
  1. Setting limits
  2. Automatic pagenation
  3. Strategies: Your blog on a diet
C. Tabbed navigation
D. Configuring blog elements
  1. Even blog posts themselves
Other blog elements (forthcoming)

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting an answer to my question. I now have a static page in place after following your instructions! Thanks a bunch!! It was just what I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Latasha! Latasha's question was posted in Blogger's excellent help forum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi adam want to know how i can make my home page just a picture & how do i move the existing posts from the home page to another new page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @tradio, I recommend Blogger's help forum for questions like this, especially if my own explanation is not satisfactory.

      Delete
  4. This doesn't tell me how to move my existing posts to my other pages - or to use my labels to automatically assign them to a page.
    How do other bloggers get mulitple unique posts on their "pages" (not Home page)??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mom: Either (1) they don't (since the standard solution has a lot to recommend it), or (2) they hack the code of their blog templates in complicated ways that are, sad to say, too clever for Too Clever.

      Delete
  5. I have a "this day in" blogger blog that had, at one time, a really nifty calendar at the top so that a person could hit any day of the year and find out what had occurred on that date. I wiped it out accidentally for reason to embarrassing to describe.

    Anyhow, would you know where I could go to find out how to readd that feature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, @PM&A, I am not familiar with that particular widget.

      If you backed up your blog (which everyone should), you could restore it to a private blog and copy the script.

      Delete