Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Blogger comments and engagement

A menu that says "Select Profile: Google Account, Anonymous, Name/url"

Leave a comment on a Blogger blog from your Google account (that is, not anonymously), and you can be notified if someone replies to you.

That can lead to interesting exchanges, while enriching the blog.

But it has gotten harder to choose the "Google Account" option when commenting.

It's a case of some outdated technology in Blogger bumping up against modern privacy concerns.

Cookies

Blogger uses third-party tracking cookies (tiny bits of code stored on your computer) to identify you and connect you to your account when viewing a blog.

Today, though, third-party cookies are also used to track all kinds of information about you and your browsing habits. Browsers (including Google's own Chrome) block them by default.

The privacy concerns are entirely legitimate, but unfortunately this can break commenting on Blogger.

Someday Google (which bought Blogger in 2003) will revamp this entire blogging platform and solve the problem.

In the meantime, it is possible to whitelist (that is, give a pass to) Blogger on every major browser, with the regrettable exception of Safari (see below).

Unfortunately, the browsers all handle this differently. Some links below.

Limited use of tracking cookies

Chrome and Firefox both have options for whitelisting individual websites from the browser bar. You can toggle cookie blocking off to make your comment, then back on, easily.
  • Chrome (scroll down on the page)
  • Firefox (scroll up a few lines to begin)

On Safari, the only option is to turn third-party tracking for all websites on or off.

Microsoft Edge may ask you to allow tracking cookies temporarily, and has other options.

In all cases, you'll probably have to reload the web page for the new setting to be in place.

For other browsers, use a search engine to locate the instructions for third-party tracking cookies + browser name.

Some browser extensions, like UBlock and Privacy Badger, can also block these cookies. Just click on their icons in the browser bar and allow "www.blogger.com."

A permanent exception

On some of these browsers, you can block all third-party tracking cookies and create a site exception for "www.blogger.com" in browser settings.

That exception will allow you to comment using your account. It is permanent (unless you remove the exception).

Note well that the exception is for blogger.com, not blogspot.com. It's good for all Blogger blogs, even those on custom domains.

Overlapping word balloons
maky.orel/pixabay  

Privacy

The reason Blogger doesn't use cookies is not inherently nefarious. Cookies 20 years ago were another helpful web technology. Blogger is just behind the times.

Nonetheless, this is Google, about which people have feelings.

Allowing those particular cookies on my computer is acceptable to me. But you might reasonably feel differently. It's not my place to tell you otherwise.

All I'll say is if you want to be able to know when someone replies to you on Blogger, you can make this exception to your browsers cookie policies, temporarily if you like.

Then you'll be able to post from your account, and let the conversation flow.

I say it's worth it

If you want to engage online, it's nice to know if someone replies. It also facilitates conversation if others do it, too.

If you have a blog, and want comments that lead to conversation, it's a good bit harder.

Because, as you have no doubt noticed, this is a hassle.

Google is phasing out cookies, so perhaps the hassle will disappear. Today, all you can do is encourage your readers to post from their Google accounts, with all that entails.

If it is helpful, you can link to this post to tell them how they can do that.

PS Personally, I am grateful for all comments, including anonymous ones. Your choice.

I moderate them because of spam bots. Consequently your comments won't post right away. But I will get around to it!

17 comments:

  1. Dude, I really like your content. I hope you write more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, @İsmail! Best wishes to you for the new year.

      Delete
  2. "Someday Google (which bought Blogger in 2003) will revamp this entire blogging platform and solve the problem." -- I like the optimism, it's already 3 years since the last time Blogger made post on the official blog, Blogger Buzz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Google has silently given an option to lazy load images in Blogger. See in the blog's settings how you can turn this on.

      Also now there is now an option to serve images in webp format which is said be faster and more efficient for web with no loss in quality of images.

      Both these things can now be turned on easily if you wish to, in the settings by just clicking on a toggle button (in the same section where Image lightbox settings is there).

      So they are silently improving things even though at a slow pace (which means there is still hope!) .

      However one issue currently with LAZY LOAD in blogger is that the first image of your blog post (actually the one within the viewport at the top, I'm assuming your first image is always at the top) should not be lazy loaded (as it can cause first image to load with much delay) but if you turn on lazy loading for images it lazy loads even the top one.

      I currently continue to manually insert loading="lazy" for image tags in html and not use them for 1st image or any more images near top of viewport, but add them to all other images (and iframes too, as lazy loading iframes is supported in major browsers these days. Example for iframe is a YouTube video embed).

      There still bugs and other things since years which could be easily solved or improved but nothing is done in that direction for years. Like for example image lightbox doesn't work for mobile version blogs running on older templates. Had posted on blogger forum years ago and still nothing. Some of us prefer using older templates and especially when we have it customised and using new one means spending lot of time in getting things back as we want it again. And time is what everyone is short of these days. Anyways glad to still have Blogger. Hope they don't pull the plug someday like they did to Feedburner's rss to email service.

      Delete
    2. Another recent change is a direct link to the Blogger profile page from the Settings page.

      It is the very last thing on the page, augmenting the edit profile link that has been there forever (in Google years).

      That change is minor, but it is baffling why Google does not announce some of these changes such as webp and lazyload.

      Delete
    3. Well now you know! I just found it out when I went to settings for something else and was surprised to find it there.

      However I don't know if all images (including older ones) will be served in webp automatically or will that option convert any image you upload now onwards into webp (meaning you may not have it in your original format anymore?) I am not clear about tha one. So use it with caution. If only they'd announce it and let us know why exactly that feature does.

      As for lazy loading, the image(/s) on or near top of your post should not be lazy loaded (see https://web.dev (which is run by Google themselves) about lazy loading) . And right now it looks Li all images get lazy loaded of that option is on. So use that with caution too, for now, unless and until they do something about it. If you have only one or very few images in a post it shouldn't be a big deal in my opinion. As per best practices, images in top within the viewport should not be lazy loaded and all other images below should be. (Lazy loading is just a harmless piece of code loading="lazy" added to your img tags. So no worries, for it won't effect your actual pictures in any way).

      Maybe the reason they did not announce it yet is because these new features aren't perfected yet? I don't know. Just wild guessing here.

      Anyway, it shows that at least something is going on and they're not simply abandoning it altogether. Can we hope? Or nope? You decide. Maybe you could even post here about the new features. Cheers! :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of your blog as well, and I'm sorry for not commenting more. Your posts are always helpful and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, @ApacheDug! I am pleased to be of service.

      Delete
  4. I agreed with you that google is behind the times with Blogger and even I hope they would update some day but there's no hope.

    Ever since they changed spam filters, commenting is a mess. I can't even sign in to comment on your blog and many other fellow blogger's blogs. Does that have to do with cookies or privacy settings?

    Honestly, I don't understand these cookies/privacy stuff but I'm sure no matter what settings you make on your browser, google will somehow make things not work.

    Thanks for this post although, I still don't quite understand most of it.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi @lissa, I hope they will clean this mess up! In the meantime, you seem to be commenting from at least one of your Google accounts.

      "Does that have to do with cookies or privacy settings?" Yes, I think so, and have tried to address that in this blog post.

      Delete
  5. Hi, I want help in blogger,
    My website is on Blogger and I am getting LCP, FCP, INP, TTFB, Caching policy error in core web vitals and one of the biggest reason of these things are my adsense code, analytics code and images in my website.

    I am using webp format images but blogger is converting this in original, I don't know why even i have also turned on blogger settings serve images in webp and lazy loading.

    My website is approved from adsense so i have pasted their code in my website and this code is causing core web vitals errors also Google analytics code and showing error like blocking main threads and unused js and reduce third party code such like.

    And Hoisting is provided by Blogger through Google so his caching policy is 1D only and pagespeed insights is saying it should be more than 3D or 1Week but how can i solve it because it is not in my hand.

    WordPress users get plugins to handle these things automatically but blogger users doesn't so I want if you have contact with blogger team or developers then please tell them about these issue and launch new blogger settings options so that blogger users can enable that options and these things should be handle automatically and if not then please explain me how can i handle these things or fix so that these error go from my website.

    mail: dipak.obra1995@gmail.com(if you want personally message me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Manikant,

      Sorry you are having issues.

      I enjoy helping people in the Blogger help community (link in my sidebar). I prefer to use that forum because of the possibility that others with the same problem will learn from the exchange of information.

      There are also many smart, helpful people there, so the quality of the help will likely be better.

      Delete
    2. Sorry but i am not able to understand where you are saying to me to post the question.

      If I am not wrong and you are saying me to post the question on blogger community platform then I want to clarify you that i have already post this question there and in reply i got your blog link to share my question with you but how can i get the help or solution still i am confused.

      Delete
    3. I am saying that, for better worse, the help community is the place to get help for your issue.

      I choose not to volunteer here in that way.

      Thank you for respecting my choice.

      Delete
  6. As you know I have an website on Blogger so I am getting core web vitals issue because my website's javascript and CSS is impacting much and as you know in Blogger there is no plugins available to optimize or minify it as WordPress.

    So I have heard that If we connect our website with Cloudflare so it will minify our HTML, JS and CSS so that the issue which I am getting as core web vitals that will be resolved.

    So I just want to know on base of your experience will it be better to link our Blogger website with Cloudflare for only minify HTML, CSS and JS or not or will it affect our website if we connect?

    means should i connect our blogger website with cloudflare or not, please tell me based of your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only experience with Cloudflare is helping people whose blog experience is screwed up by Cloudflare's caching policies.

      I've already advised you to pursue this issue in the help community and in the help community have warned you about Cloudflare.

      You seem to have made up your mind, which is fine with me! I really am not interested in an argument about this.

      Delete